Onion soup originated in France and was seen as food for poor people because onions were easy to grow. But at the end of the day, this soup was known as a healthy soup! The benefits of onions are miraculously impressive!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 large onions, finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- ⅔ cup apple cider or red wine
- 8 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- baguette crostini or croutons
- 200g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat a medium saucepan with butter in medium heat. Once the butter has dissolved add the finely sliced onions and stir until they are well coated with butter. Cover and cook the onion for 12-15 minutes
- After that remove the lid and season it with sugar, salt, and pepper and cook the onions for an additional 30 minutes. Stir often every 5 minutes to make sure they are not sticking on the bottom of the pan. The onion should be golden brown and caramelized
- Stir in the flour and cook for a minute then add broth and thyme and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat into low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once done, ladle soup to individual oven-safe bowls and top with crostini and cheese then bake into 375°F until cheese is melted. Always serve hot or from the oven.
This will help you be healthy and productive! Start each day with cheesy onion soup! Will you try it? Let us know your answer below!