Yakitori originated in Japan during the middle of the Meiji Era. In street stalls, they began to serve this delicious dish in a skewer grilled in charcoal. This dish is served best when paired with soju or alcoholic beverages and with friends and family.
- ½ kg chicken thighs cubes 1inch thick
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Sake
- 1/4 cup Mirin
- 2 long white onions cut 1 inch white part long pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- The first step is to soak the bamboo skewers in water for about 25 minutes so that it won’t burn easily when grilling.
- Preheat a small pot into the medium fire. Once ready, stir in the soy sauce, sugar, mirin, sake then bring it to boil for about 7-10 minutes until the texture of the sauce gets sticky. Once done set aside.
- Preheat the griller then spread oil on the grill grate very thinly and cook skewered meat for 5 minutes each side until browned and cooked. Once done, immediately dip chicken into the sauce and put it on a plate, continue with the rest, and your Chicken Yakitori is done!
The best compliment for this sweetened skewered chicken dish is BEER! How about you? What would you prefer? Try it now and let us know your answer below!