Meatless meatballs made with real food that is full of flavor, don’t fall apart, aren’t mushy, and are easy to make! Our plant-based take on meatballs most closely resembles the flavors of Italian-American meatballs, which are made with breadcrumbs and herbs. Cook this and eat all you want in a healthy way.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup soy flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ – 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- dry or fresh herbs
- 5 cups miso or vegetable broth
- 1- 2 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Bring veggie broth to a boil and pour over wheat gluten. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes until completely absorbed. (A beef-flavoured broth, such as the Better than Bouillon No Beef Base, will make these taste more convincing.)
- Add the remaining ingredients and combine them into a thick dough that holds them together. Depending on the type of flour you use, you may need to add extra.
- Add salt as needed, depending on whether the broth and Italian seasoning contain salt.
- Shape mixture into 1-2″ balls.
- To bake, cook in preheated 400°F for 20 minutes.
- To pan-fry, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry meatballs for 5-8 minutes, tilting the pan to roll them around and brown.
- Once done, transfer the meatballs into a wire rack to remove the excess oil and let it cool.
Meatless and harmless. Check out trending Avacraft cookware!