Craving for a cozy, healthy dinner? This dish will surely appetize you with its nutritious white noodles layered with sliced eggplants and meat-free sauce. For sure this will become your favorite and it’s perfect comfort food for your family and friends.
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound cauliflower
- ½ large white onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28-ounce can) crushed tomatoes
- 12 (6-ounce can) tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz can) tomato sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (divided)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pound deli-sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly greases 2 baking sheets.
- Lay eggplant slices out onto prepared baking sheets into a single layer.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven until tender, about 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground cauliflower. Add in onion and garlic and cook until well cooked, stirring constantly.
- Stir in fresh basil, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and wine. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, ½ teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan. To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 6 eggplant slices on top to cover the bottom of the pan. Spread with ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ¼ of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1½ cups sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with ¼ cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers.
- To finish, place a final layer of eggplant, topped with another 1 cup of sauce to cover the eggplant. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Be in love with this vegan dish! Sign-up at Avacraft cookware and win gift cards up to $50!