This simple roulade is made with a basic sponge cake, and filled with luscious fresh chunks of strawberries mixed with strawberry jam! Cake has a smooth texture with a combination of sweet and slightly sour taste that will definitely satisfy your cravings!
- 5 egg yolks room temperature
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar divided
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites room temperature
Strawberry Jam Filling:
- 1 to 2 can or bottle of strawberry jam
- 2 cups of strawberry chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 12X17 rimmed baking sheet and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper with butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, milk, vanilla extract, two-thirds cup of sugar, and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Stir dry ingredients into the wet just until combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (1 to 2 minutes). Add the remaining one-third cup of sugar and continue beating on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (another 1 to 2 minutes).
- Fold egg whites into the batter until fully incorporated. Pour batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the cake is light brown. Let cool completely.
For Strawberry Jam Filling:
- In a small bowl combine the strawberry chunks and strawberry jam until well combined. Scatter strawberries over the top of the cake evenly. Starting at the short end, roll up the cake, letting the parchment fall away as you roll.
- Place the cake seam side down. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Let’s bake! At Avacraft cookware, we love cooking and eating! Let me know your thoughts!