“Sonho” means dream, and it’s an authentic delicacy of a Portuguese. They are light and airy doughnuts that are coated in white sugar. These doughnuts have an incredible taste that will surely bring back childhood memories. It is also perfect for holidays, and the whole family will surely love this sweet dream treat!
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 5 cups approximately canola oil for frying
- 1 cup approximately, sugar for dipping the doughnuts
- Warm the milk to about 110° F, add the teaspoon of sugar and the yeast. Whisk until well blended, although clumps of yeast may remain. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the yeast blooms and starts to rise in a foam.
- Combine all the doughnut ingredients, including the yeast and milk mixture, in the pan of a bread machine set to dough only and allow the bread machine to mix, knead, and proof the dough until doubled in size (about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Turn the dough onto a clean, floured surface and with a rolling pin, roll to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Using a 3-inch round cutting tool, cut as many doughnut rounds as possible from the dough.
- Place cut doughnuts on a large, lightly floured sheet pan, sprinkle lightly with more flour, and cover with a clean cloth. Allow it to rise until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Heat the canola oil to 375° F in a heavy pan or a large skillet. Fry the doughnuts, 5 or 6 at a time, until a medium golden brown, flipping to cook both sides evenly.
- Transfer fried doughnuts to a cooling rack to drain. Allow the doughnuts to cool slightly, but they can still be warm.
- Coat with sugar on all sides, and it’s ready.
Delicious treats, everyone! At Avacraft cookware, we love cooking and eating! Visit our website @ www.avacraft.com!