There’s nothing like a slow-cooked meal on winter and cold day like these slow cooker beef shanks with mashed potatoes. Your house will surely smell amazing, and this recipe will warm you from the inside! This recipe is also rich in protein and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 pieces beef (use bone-in beef shanks), sliced into 3-inch-thick pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- lemon rind, grated
- orange rind
- 1/4 cup parsley sprigs, chopped
- mashed potatoes
- Season flour with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Dredge beef shanks in season flour, tapping off any excess.
- In a large stockpot, heat oil and butter. Sear the shanks on all sides until browned; set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Increase heat to high and add red wine; let reduce to one-third. Return the beef shanks to the pot and add the stock and tomatoes—season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then transfer the mixture to a slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 6 hours or until the beef is very tender.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves. Transfer to a clean plate to a serving platter and sprinkle with lemon rind mixture. Serve hot with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, if desired.
Slowly but delicious! Sign-up at Avacraft cookware and win gift cards up to $50!