Radish Kimchi can always be a partner of any type of food but please don’t consider to partner it with pastries. This dish is also very healthy the same with classic kimchi. It can boost your appetite, metabolism and many more!
- For Brine (only for pickling radish)
- 2 large Korean radish
- 5 cups (approx 1200ml) water
- 7 tbsp Korean coarse sea salt for brining (with bittern removed)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sweet rice flour paste(10 Tbs water + 1 Tbs sweet rice flour)
- 4 Tbs Korean red chilli powder– adjust to taste
- 2 Tbs chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 4 Tbs Korean fermented anchovy sauce or fish sauce
- Rinse radish under water and cut into 2 1/2 inch (6cm) chunks. Do NOT peel.
- Turn each radish chunk 90° and cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- Make the brine by mixing 5 cups lukewarm water (use cold water in summer) and 7 Tbs sea salt.
- Pickle radish in brine for 3 hrs. Turn over once to make sure the top ones get fully immersed in brine.
- Radish is this flexible – like so- when fully pickled in brine. Drain out all the brine from radish by pouring out everything in a colander and letting it drain for a good 5 min or more. DISCARD brine.
- Make sweet rice flour paste by mixing 1 T sweet rice flour and 10 Tbs water and bring to boil. Simmer for 7-8 min while stirring often. A whisk works well. Let it cool.
- Make seasoning by adding remaining seasoning (red chilli powder, garlic, ginger, anchovy sauce) to cooled rice flour paste. Mix it well. It should look gloriously red and delicious like this.
- In a bowl, add radish and kimchi seasoning mix. Use plastic gloves (your hands may sting later if you use your bare hands) to mix everything well so that each radish piece gets nicely coated with the red stuff.
- Arrange in a large mason jar or Kimchi container. Cover the container tightly and place in a dark spot at room temperature for 20 to 28 hours. Note: The ingredients are starting to ferment at this point.
- Let the air escape from the container by opening it. Seal it once more and place inside the refrigerator to chill for 3 days. After that, it’s ready to serve as a side dish of your favourite food.
Do you love radish? Try this out! Let us know your thoughts below!