These soft, fluffy, and tender yam cheeseballs are the perfect side for your dishes. No matter what you celebrate this time of the year, these yam cheese balls will look amazing on your table. They work as a festive side or appetizer, or even as a main with your favorite meals.
- 7 oz. purple yam
- 2/3 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella diced into ½ in cubes
- Oil as needed for frying
- panko dusting
- Place the purple yam in a pot and fill it with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take out the purple yam, let it cool slightly and peel it. Mash it into a paste. Then add in cream and powdered sugar, mix till incorporated.
- Sift in glutinous rice flour, mix till a smooth dough forms, cover with plastic wrap and let hydrate for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 18g portions, and wrap a piece of Mozzarella into each portion. Roll them into round spheres and cover the surface with panko.
- Heat oil to 325F, check the temperature with a thermometer. Fry the purple yam cheese balls for 3-4 minutes till golden brown. They should be floating on top of the oil when done.
- Once done, remove the cooked purple yam cheese balls and transfer them into the wire rack.
Never tried this recipe? At Avacraft cookware, we love cooking and eating! Give it a try now!