Holy Cannoli! If you are looking for a fun and simple twist of the popular Italian cannoli, this one’s for you. Filled with lightly spiced sweet pumpkin ricotta filling, this recipe is delicious and perfect for dessert if you love Italian pastries.
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For Pumpkin Filling
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup Imperial sugar confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Beat the eggs and sugar with a handheld or electric mixer until foamy. Add the olive oil, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well.
- In another bowl, Add the baking powder to the flour and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients gradually and mix with the electric mixer until combined. Heat up your pizzelle iron.
- While the iron is heating, roll the pizzelle dough into balls, about an inch in diameter. Open the iron, and press the dough balls into the spaces for the pizzelle. Close the lid and allow them to bake. The light on the iron will go out when they are ready.
- Using a metal spatula, quickly remove the freshly cooked pizzelle and wrap it (it will still be malleable), around the cannoli form or a wooden spoon handle. Hold in place for about 30 seconds until set. Repeat with the remaining dough until you have made all your shells.
For Pumpkin Ricotta Filling
- Place ricotta cheese in a cheesecloth and let it drain for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place drained ricotta cheese, pumpkin puree, sugar and pumpkin pie spices in a bowl with a hand whisk or a spatula and stir to combine.
- Place pumpkin mixture into a piping bag and fill the cannoli shells. Shells will soften after they are filled. For the best results, fill shells 2-4 hours before serving. You can also add some chocolate syrup on the cannoli shells to be tastier.
Craving for more? Don’t hesitate to send us some suggestions just email us at email@example.com!