Shawarma is very popular middle eastern dish. This dish is known by many around the world and has many different ways of cooking and processing. Traditionally, this dish must be wrapped with a piece of pita bread with the veggies you desire and a lot of garlic/hot sauce.
- 1kg beef sirloin flap
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Chili flakes
- ½ tsp Cloves(ground)
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Allspice(ground)
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds(ground)
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 300ml soda preferably sprite
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I have added 2 3/4 cups of flour in total)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp oil
- White onion
- Pickle relish/Pickles
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Salt and pepper
- You can buy pita bread for easier and time convenient but if you want to do it from scratch? I can share my way on how to do it.
- First, in a large bowl, sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt and then mix until well combined. After that add the water and oil then start mixing it until the texture thickens.
- Continue kneading by hand for about 10 mins. Add more flour as needed. Rest the dough for 15 minutes, then divide into 8 equal portions. Roll into balls and flatten thinly using a rolling pin on a floured surface. Cook in a hot pan without oil over medium-high heat about a minute each side. Then set aside once done.
- To marinate the beef. In a large zip lock mix all the spices, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and soda together until well combined. After that add the meat then marinate it for 5 or 24 hours into the fridge.
- Preheat a griller until smoking hot then put the meat and grill it for 6-8 minutes each side until well done, set aside once done. Also, grill the vegetables for the great fragrance in every bite. Don’t overcook the vegetables. Set aside and let it cool before slicing it.
- Garlic mayo: combine all the ingredients and mix well to infuse garlic flavor. Set aside.
- To assemble, take a pita bread, spread some garlic mayo, and add some prepared vegetables and meat. You can also add more mayonnaise or hot sauce as desired. Wrap it around and enjoy it! Best served warm.
I bet you want to try this. But when? Let us know your answer. Comment down below!