These lemon coconut tarts are made of tangy lemon curd, flaked coconut surrounded by a flaky pastry shell. A perfect balance of tangy and sweet, this recipe is a perfect vibrant and springy dessert for Sunday afternoon tea.
For the crust:
- 1½ cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- In a food processor, process flour, sugar and salt. Then add cubed butter and pulse until crumbs are formed. Add egg and vanilla extract, process until dough is formed. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Place the dough on a lightly floured board, dust the top of the dough and roll out the dough. It’s about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie pan. evenly press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of your pan. Trim off the excess dough off the top of the pan. Gently pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork. Transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- Meanwhile, in a pot on medium heat, combine the coconut and nut milk. Bring to a simmer and stir well. Mix in the remaining filling ingredients, adjusting the amount of maple syrup and lemon juice to taste. Remove the mixture from heat and continue whisking until well-combined.
- Gently line a parchment paper over the dough. Fill with dry beans, rice or pie weights. Bake for 15 min. Remove the weights and the parchment paper. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden.
- Reduce the temperature to 300F (150C).
- While the crust is still in the oven, pour the mixture into the pastry case. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the filling has just set.
- Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Make sure to serve it with whip cream!
Bet? Try it now! Check out trending Avacraft cookware!