This recipe is everything you love about a traditional cake roll — the falovorful carrot cake, an indulgent cream cheese filling, combined in one fluffy roll. And so, if you love carrot cakes, get some fresh carrots, and let’s rock this cake!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, separate yolks, and whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar for egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar for meringue
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice or milk
- 1-¾ cups shredded carrot
Cream Cheese Filling:
- ½ stick soften unsalted butter
- ½ brick soften cream cheese
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Mix everything together until very creamy and set aside until needed.
For the Cake:
- In a large bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy.
- Add ¼ cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time while beating at medium-high speed. Beat until soft-medium peaks form and set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar until well combined. Then add oil and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Sift in all of the dry ingredients, mix well. Then add some of the meringue to the batter to thin out the batter, mix well.
- Pour the batter back into the meringue bowl. Mix in gently until incorporated.
- Gently add the carrot but please do not over-mix. Pour the batter into a jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread the batter evenly with an offset spatula. Bake 375 degrees F for 13-15 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched. Once done, let the cake cool down for 5 minutes, then invert the cake onto a surface lined with parchment paper. Peel off the parchment paper then cover the cake with another piece of parchment paper or use the same one that you just peel off.
- Flip the cake and roll the cake with parchment paper on both sides. Let cool completely.
- Unroll the cake, discard the parchment paper then spread cream cheese filling on the cake evenly as much as needed.
- Roll the cake back without the parchment paper on the bottom then wrap with wax paper or plastic wrap and wrap another layer with foil.
- Chill it in the fridge for 2-4 hours before serving.
Love pastries? If you have any suggestions for us at Avacraft cookware, please write to us at email@example.com.