This classic pastry dish that has the right balance between tender and crumbly! Very easy to make and is a wonderful side to accompany any autumn meal. Classic but still tasty and a part of the Christmas menu!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups white cornmeal or 1 1/4 cups blue cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease an 8-inch (20cm) square baking pan, set aside. In a large bowl whisk flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk melted butter and sugar. Then, add eggs and whisk until combined. Add buttermilk and whisk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Please do not over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to slightly cool before slicing. Serve with butter and honey or jam.
Try this classic but fantastic recipe! Let me know your thoughts! Comment down below!