Chicken Biryani originated in India, but many historians believe that Biryani originated in Persia. It’s famous for its style of cooking and also for its spices. This dish is flavorful and very satisfying to eat.
For Jerk chicken thighs:
- 2 ½ pound chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin spice
- For a more flavorful chicken add more spices like curry powder, paprika, coriander powder, and chili powder (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
- ¼ -⅓ cup of yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil/butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small jalapenos pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin spice
- 3-4 cardamom pods, a cracked teaspoon
- 1 tsp curry spice
- 1-2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp chili spice (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½-1 tsp or more white/black pepper
- 1/3 -1/2 cup cashew (optional)
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups Liquid Broth or water, and/or coconut milk
- 1 ½ tsp salt or more adjust to taste
- 2 tsp or more cilantro (optional)
- First, wash the chicken with clean water and wipe it with a paper towel then season it with salt.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, garlic, ginger, white pepper, and cumin. Mix it well until well combined. Then add yogurt and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to use. If you’re ready to use the marinated chicken, please remove/discard the excess marinade from the chicken.
- Place chicken skin side up in an oven-safe large skillet for about 3 minutes each side, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add about 2 tablespoons oil or more followed by onions, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaf. Sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add cumin, coriander, curry, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, chill pepper, red bell pepper, and cashews. Stir for another minute until well combined.
- Next add all the remaining ingredients, rice, stock, and salt to taste. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven in a preheated oven uncovered. Cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove let it cool, garnish with cilantro, if desired.
This dish will surely make you full in just one sitting! Will you try it? Let us know your answer below!