There comes a point in the winter season when I am over winter foods and am ready to dive into cooking something else (don’t get me wrong – I love hot soups and wintery comfort foods but I do eventually long for something more).
A stir fry made with fresh veggies sounded nice for dinner, but I had already run to the store and didn’t plan this last-minute meal. Thankfully, I had some chicken in the fridge and some mushrooms that were just about ready to be tossed into the compost pile, so I needed to cook them up anyway. I remembered I bought a bunch of fresh, crisp asparagus and then got excited because my family loves the chicken asparagus stir fry recipe I make for them.
How to Make Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry
Start this stir fry recipe by cutting boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. The chicken is then sautéed in high quality oil in a stainless steel pan to golden brown perfection.
Next, asparagus stalks are incorporated into the pan, along with some herbs and spices, like garlic and ginger. If you like mushrooms, you then add those to the recipe (I’ve made this recipe without mushrooms too for guests who have an aversion and it turns out well still).
The last step is creating a sauce base with chicken broth and soy sauce that is poured over the ingredients already in the pan, allowing it all to simmer together until the flavors blend and the sauce is thickened.
Look at those bubbles!
Tips for Sautéing Chicken for Stir Fry
When making chicken for a stir fry recipe, the best way to cook it is to heat oil with high heat in a stainless steel pan. The chicken should be cooked in a single layer while avoiding overcrowding. If the chicken is too close together, it begins to steam, which does not give you the beautiful golden brown appearance common to sir frys. I recommend cooking the chicken in this recipe in two batches, even in a 12” stainless steel pan.
(Note: the chicken in this above photo is a little too close. Space it out more.)
When you want to whip together a delicious last-minute stir fry on a busy weeknight, this spring-timey chicken, asparagus and mushroom stir fry is delicious. We typically serve it over steamed white rice.
Chicken Asparagus Mushroom Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb asparagus stalks, cut into 1 to 1/12 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar (you can add more if you like a sweeter sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil or sesame oil over medium high heat in a pan. Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer. Cook in batches if necessary, for 3-4 minutes per side or until a crispy golden brown appearance develops.
- Add the asparagus and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3 minutes per side.
- Add the mushrooms, cooking for 1 to 2 additional minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Whisk the chicken broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables in the pan, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes more until the sauce has thickened. Serve.