Got a lot of time in your hands? Try making a homemade Chicago style cheesy deep-dish pizza! With a thick, crispy and flakey crust that is topped with yummy marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese, I’m sure the kids (and your hubby) will love you till Sunday with this on the table.
- 1¼ cup of warm water
- 2¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3¼ cups flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes with basil
- 10 slices mozzarella
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- Fresh grated Parmesan
- Prepare the dough. Combine the active dry yeast, sugar, and warm water together and let sit for one minute. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt. Add the yeast mixture and butter into the dry ingredients and stir until dough forms.
- Bring dough to a floured surface and knead until dough forms into a ball.
- Move dough to a large bowl drizzled with olive oil. Coat dough in oil and cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the marinara sauce. In a heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and add the onion, salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano, and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, sugar, and crushed tomatoes, and simmer for roughly 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Remove dough and bring onto a floured surface. Cut dough in half and begin working dough out ensuring that it is at least 2 inches wider than your deep-dish pan. Double wrap the remaining dough with plastic wrap and place in a resealable freezer bag. You can freeze this for a month.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F/215°C. and a 9’ deep-dish pan
- Bring your dough into your oiled and floured deep-dish pan. Using your hands, press dough into sides of your dish making it as even as possible. Lay slices of mozzarella across the dough, covering the entire bottom.
- Pour the marinara sauce and add uncased Italian sausages on top. Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese for toppings
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust starts to lightly brown and the cheese is melted. Garnish with Parmesan.
At Avacraft cookware, we love cooking and eating! How do you like this one? Comment down below!