For many, candied yams are an indispensable part of the Thanksgiving meal, along with mashed potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce. We agree! Though candied yams might be super sweet on their own, they’re the perfect complement to a plate full of savoury dishes. Our version gets an added kick from nutmeg! We think once you try them you’ll never want yams without it!
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar (divided)
- 1 cup white sugar (divided)
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 stick butter (cut into cubes)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Butter a medium baking dish.
- In an Avacraft Everyday Pan, combine white & brown sugar, vanilla, orange juice, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until it has thickened slightly about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your sweet potatoes. Peel potatoes and slice into 1/2″ rounds, then layer in the prepared baking dish. Pour thickened syrup over potatoes and cover the dish with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake about 50 minutes to 1 hour more, basting with sauce every 15 minutes
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Who loves candies? Try this one! If you have any suggestions for us at Avacraft cookware, please write to us at email@example.com.