Rich in flavor that you can’t stop taking a bite! Simple on the outside but meaty and tasty on the inside! Best served fresh, but you can also make ahead and freeze or refrigerate.
- 1 ⅓ cups finely chopped scallions
- 2/3 cup diced white onion
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 (3/4-inch) piece peeled ginger
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons browning (burnt brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 3/4 teaspoons instant unflavored gelatin
For Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick cold butter, cubed in small pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
For the Crust:
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a food processor, and mix with a spoon.
- Add the butter and pulse several times until the mixture is crumbly.
- Turn the processor on, and very slowly pour the ice water through the top until dough ball forms.
- Cut the dough into two even pieces, wrap with saran wrap, and freeze for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for several hours.
For the Filling:
- Combine the scallions, onion, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, garlic, peppers, and ginger in the bowl of a food processor and purée until minced.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil and ground beef. Cook the meat for several minutes, then add the onions and mix well. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, then add the breadcrumbs, beef stock, browning, salt, pepper, and gelatin and cook until thick, about 25 minutes. Make 4 1/2 cups. Then add remaining ingredients mixing well. Allow flavors to blend for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
- On a floured surface roll out one of the dough balls to fit into a sprayed pie dish. Pour the meat filling inside the dough.
- Roll out the other dough ball, and place on top of the meat, fluting the edges.
- Bake at 400°C for 30-40 minutes or until very golden.
Meaty with lots of flavor in every bite! If you have any suggestions for us at Avacraft cookware, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.